2021 Digital Industry Predictions: Foundational Technologies
Posted by Ken Forster
2021 - A Look Ahead: Foundational Technologies
Each year we look back, take stock of the present and look ahead at the technologies and trends likely to impact the way we work, the way businesses operate and the most exciting innovations ahead of us. As we look into the new decade, there are advances in technologies that enable powerful new innovations, changes in how we work and create, and changes in how we power growth and move about.
In this three-part series we explore “Foundational Technologies”, “How We Work” and “Where we are Going”. This blog post series will provide a high-level perspective and at the end of this series we will provide a more detailed 2021 outlook report, exploring the implications of these critical trends in a broader context.
In the first part of our review, we look at five Foundational Technologies which we categorize as Building Blocks of the future. These technologies include:
1. Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Everywhere
AI is becoming mainstream, embedded in applications and business processes across all industries. Breakthroughs like Deep Learning and new types of algorithms pave the way for more ground-breaking innovations.
2. Connecting the Internet of Everything While IoT spending took a hit in 2020, it is forecasted to accelerate in 2021 into the coming decade. Expect to see rapid innovations in both consumer, commercial and industrial applications, driving down costs, improving efficiencies and minimizing risk.
3. 5G – Moving Data Bigger and Faster than Ever With the launch of Apple’s iPhone 12 and a number of 5G-compatible Android phones on the market, 5G adoption is expected to skyrocket over the next few years, ushering a new era of powerful connected applications for consumers and businesses.
4. Critical Infrastructure - Cloud Computing Cloud has become essential to businesses adjusting to distributed workforces, and adoption is tracking so over half of all enterprise workloads will be executed in the cloud by next year. Additionally, the trend toward multi-cloud adoption will accelerate in 2021 as business use a growing range of cloud services.
5. Blockchain Maturing in 2021 With Bitcoin experiencing a resurgence of interest at the end of 2020, the underlying technology of blockchain for enterprises is also coming into view. Decentralized finance has become one of most prominent crypto trends, laying the groundwork for “enterprise DeFi,” which has the potential to transform financial services operations.
Momenta encompasses leading Strategic Advisory, Talent, and Ventures practices with over 200 IoT leadership placements, 125 industry clients and 40+ young IoT disruptors in our portfolio. Schedule a free consultation to learn more about our Digital Industry practice.